When you try to install Skype for Windows Desktop latest version (Skype 8.17), it will give you an error “Please install Skype from the Microsoft Store for the best experience“. We will look at ways to install Skype for Windows Desktop without encountering this error.
This error comes if you are running Windows 10 Versions 1607, 1703 and 1709. It will install successfully if you are running Windows 10 1511, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7. This will force the user to use the already installed Skype Windows app. A new web page will open automatically open taking you to Skype Windows app installation page.
Fixing Please install Skype from the Microsoft Store for the best experience error
Install Skype for Desktop silently
The first method of installing Skype for Desktop 8.xx or above is to run the installer setup with silent switch. To run the installing without encountering the above mentioned error, follow the steps below:
- Open command prompt (Run –> cmd)
- Drag the downloaded setup file to command prompt window. This will copy the executable path in command prompt window. Alternatively, you can also press Shift and then right-click the setup file and select “Copy as path” and then paste it in cmd window.
- Append /silent switch after the path as shown in the screenshot below.
- Press enter and the setup will start and complete without user intervention.
If you don’t want to see the setup progress then you may use /verysilent switch will not even show the progress windows and will install Skype silently and invisibly.
Using compatibility mode to install Skype
Since Skype setup will only give you an error when you have installed specific version of Windows 10 (1607, 1703 and 1709 or above), you can easily run the Skype setup file in compatibility mode and it should run without any issues. To run Skype in compatibility mode, follow the instructions below:
- Download Skype for Desktop 8.17 from here.
- Right-click the downloaded setup file and select Properties.
- Go to Compatibility tab.
- Select Windows 7 or Windows 8 in Compatibility mode section.
- Press Ok.
- Run the setup and it should install without giving the error “Please install Skype from the Microsoft Store for the best experience”.
Steps after installing Skype
After Skype is successfully installed, it will automatically open the sign-in window.
After signing into Skype account, you will be given options to configure Skype theme (light or dark), change your Skype display picture, adjust sound and camera settings.
If you encounter any issues on Skype, please let us know through comments below.